Sunderland Women's Centre, 8 Green Terrace,
Sunderland, SR1 3PZ, 0191 567 7495 MAP here
Sunderland Women’s Centre strives to ensure equality of opportunity by identifying and removing barriers to learning and by supporting women from under-represented or disadvantaged groups. We also strive to take an holistic approach to the general well being of all women and children and to promote a positive attitude to lifelong learning.
SWC aims to instill a sense of purpose and achievement, improve prospects of employment and quality of life, freely and without discrimination, by removing barriers to encourage learners who may have felt excluded, to participate in educational opportunities. We offer guidance, support, confidence building and awareness raising in order to promote a positive attitude to life-long learning.
- Provide educational opportunities in the form of short/part-time courses in a range of subject areas, within family friendly hours.
- Take a holistic approach to the general well being of all/individual women.
- Promote a positive attitude to lifetime learning by offering guidance, support, confidence building and awareness-raising.
- Identify and remove barriers, thereby encouraging women who have felt excluded to participate in courses and activities.
- Provide crèche facilities on a daily basis for pre-school children in a safe educational and caring environment, open to all child carers.
- Prioritise interpersonal communication and social skills development in order to begin the empowering process for all women.
- Encourage and support groups and individuals to become active in their community via self-help groups, study space and resources.
Sunderland Women’s Centre (SWC) is a charitable company limited by guarantee and based in the city centre of Sunderland.
The organisation has been in existence since 1984, registered as a charity in 1996 and became incorporated in 2004.
Overall governance lies in the hands of an elected committee made up of learners and other interested women.